We enjoyed this thick, rich corn chowder at Sky High Wilderness Ranch just before taking off for a chilly sled dog adventure.
- 1 Small ham roast –bone in
- 1 whole onion, diced
- ½ small bag of frozen corn
- 1 clove garlic diced
- Mrs. Dash Seasoning (original)
- Seasoning salt
- 4 Sticks celery, diced
- 6 potatoes
- 2 L whole milk
- Cornstarch to thicken.
- Put small ham roast into a large pot and half cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 ½ hours – adding more water if necessary.
- Remove ham and cool both broth and meat.
- Cook 6 potatoes in microwave —when done: cool, peel and cut into cubes. Set aside.
- Skim cold hard fat from top of broth in pot. Cut meat from bone and chop into pieces, put in broth.
- Add seasoning salt, Mrs. Dash, pepper, onion, garlic, corn, and celery to broth and boil until celery is tender.
- Add cooked potato cubes.
- Add ¾ of 2L (approximately 6 2/3 cups)carton of whole milk to broth and bring to a rolling boil.
- Mix 3 Tbsp of cornstarch in ½ cup milk and pour into boiling soup stirring constantly until chowder thickens.
HINT: Season to taste, the chowder gets a lot of its salt from the ham so don’t over salt. You may need more cornstarch depending on amount of broth.