Here’s an easy recipe for creamy lasagne with chicken and mushrooms.
This authentic and delicious recipe comes from Mama’s Italian Family Cookbook: Family Recipes from Mama’s Kitchen (Parragon Books). Because it uses ground chicken, it has less fat than beef lasagna, yet retains all the flavor. Also, using a white sauce instead of the usual red gives the lasagna creamy goodness that allows you to recreate the warmth of an Italian family gathering. Buon appetito!
Recipe courtesy Mama’s Italian Family Cookbook: Family Recipes from Mama’s Kitchen parragon.com/us/lovefood/home
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 pound fresh ground chicken (If you don’t have ground chicken, you can either make your own by putting some chicken meat in a food processor or buy ground turkey instead.)
4 ounces pancetta, chopped
4 ounces dried porcini, soaked
2/3 cup dry white wine
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
9 dried lasagna noodles
1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
2 ½ cups milk
4 tablespoons butter
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper, to taste
• Preheat the oven to 375°F. For the white sauce, heat the milk, butter, flour, and bay leaf in a saucepan over low heat, whisking continuously, until smooth and thick. Season with salt and pepper, cover, and let stand.
• Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and sauté the onion, stirring, for 3-4 minutes.
• Add the chicken and pancetta and cook for 6-8 minutes. Stir in both types of mushrooms and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
• Add the wine and bring to a boil. Pour in the tomatoes, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in the basil.
• Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the lasagna noodles, bring back to a boil, and cook according to the package directions. Drain well on a clean dish towel.
• Spoon one-third of the meat sauce into a large baking dish. Remove and discard the bay leaf from the white sauce. Spoon one-quarter of the white sauce over the meat sauce. Arrange three of the lasagna noodles over the white sauce. Repeat the layers twice, finishing with a layer of white sauce.
• Sprinkle with the Parmesan and bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, until the topping is golden brown and bubbling. Serve immediately.