Skout Organic Trailbars — healthy, delicious, and filling.
When you’re traveling, it can often be tricky to find healthy food. Drive-through snacks offer little nutritional value and I can’t tell you the number of times I’m stuck in some airport late at night or early in the morning and the only open food purveyors are vending machines. Yuck! But there are healthier options like Skout Organic Trailbars.
I usually tuck a few snack bars into my daypack when I’m traveling. Too often, however, “healthy” bars are anything but healthy. They’re full of fat, sugar and plenty of calories and, even worse, tons of preservatives and additives you can’t even pronounce. That’s a lot of empty, unhealthful calories.
That’s not the case with Skout Organic Trailbars. These snacks are filled with delicious, nutritious ingredients such as dates, apples, oats, almonds and unsweetened dark chocolate. They’re organic and non-GMO, gluten-free, and preservative- and additive-free. They contain no refined sugar, no dairy or soy and no artificial ingredients. Perhaps most importantly, they taste good.
Skout Trailbars are “moist” style snack bars, not the crunchy granola-style. Because I’ve sampled moist bars like Clif Bars and really didn’t like the taste or the texture, when I opened my first Skout bar, I thought, “Oh no.” Then I tasted the Skout Organic Chocolate Peanut and liked it. It actually tastes like real chocolate and real peanut. The texture is chewy and satisfying. And, unlike sugary snack bars, Skout Organic Trailbars fill you up, providing 180 calories of good nutrition.
I took along a few Skout Oranic Trailbars when I recently traveled to both Alaska and Canada and these delicious bars came in handy. In Alaska, I was on a small boat cruising through an icy fjord when I realized my tank was empty. I pulled out a Skout bar and it filled the void until I got back to shore a few hours later. In Canada, there was a mix-up on my meal on the plane and then I remembered I had a Skout bar in my daypack. It wasn’t supper, but it satisfied me until we got into Toronto and I could order a meal.
Back here at home, I’ve come to rely on Skout bars as a quick pick-me-up in the afternoon when I’m rushing to my Pilates class and don’t have time to eat. I snack on one in the car and my Skout bar gets me through a tough hour of exercise, a couple hours of grocery shopping, and another hour of driving home.
Skout Organic Trailbars come in several flavors and I’ve tried them all. One of the things I like about the flavors of Skout bars is each is distinctive, and the flavors are bright, not muddled.
• Organic Blueberry-Almond: You can actually taste the sweet blueberries and the nuttiness of the almonds. In fact, it tastes a bit like a Fig Newton. Blueberries are an excellent source of antioxidants and almonds are full of vitamin E and heart-healthy monounsaturated fats. The dates and oats combine with the nuts and blueberries to add texture and even more nutrients.
• Organic Apple-Cinnamon: Apples and cinnamon are a classic flavor combination. Apples, of course, are great for you and cinnamon is noted for its high antioxidant properties. As you probably know, antioxidants help repair cell damage caused by oxidation from exposure to harmful things like pollutants. The added dates, oats and almonds add texture and additional nutrients.
• Organic Cherry-Vanilla: I was skeptical about this flavor. Cherry vanilla, really? Yes, really. It’s quite tasty with bright cherry flavor with a hint of vanilla. Cherries are filled with anthocyanins, compounds naturally found in berries that possess high levels of antioxidants activity. The dates, oats and almonds add texture and more healthful nutrients.
• Organic Chocolate-Coconut: This is one of my favorite Skout bars, filled with a nice dark chocolaty flavor and sweet with chewy coconut. Of course, unsweetened dark chocolate is a great source of flavonol antioxidants. The coconut brings an abundance of vitamins and minerals and the dates, oats and almonds add texture and additional nutrients.
• Organic Chocolate-Peanut: This bar pairs the antioxidant power of unsweetened dark chocolate with protein-rich peanuts that taste great. The dates and oats offer a nice chewiness and additional nutrients.
Real Bottom Line: If you’re looking for tasty and healthy trailbars that are great for traveling, check out Skout Organic Trailbars. They’re an easy and healthful way to fuel your adventures. I know I’ll be carrying a few in my traveling daypack. –Bobbie Hasselbring, RFT Editor