Who doesn’t love butternut squash? It’s the perfect fall veggie and makes a nice holiday alternative to overly-sweet yams with marshmallows. Try this recipe for caramelized butternut squash from Sweet and Savory that’s a little sweet, a little cinnamon and a lot delicious.
• 10 cups (3lbs) butternut squash, cubed
• 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
• ¼ cup brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• ¼ teaspoon all spice
• ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
• 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2. Cut off both ends of the squash. Halve the squash and peel the skin. Halve each half again and remove seeds. Cut the squash into small cubes. (If you’re in a rush, you can also buy pre-cut, frozen squash, but fresh is best.) Place them on a large baking sheet in one layer.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients, except for walnuts. Pour over the squash. Mix everything together so that all the squashes are evenly coated.
4. Roast for about 45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Add walnuts last 10 minutes.