Looking for something a little different to serve hungry holiday guests who’ve come to watch holiday bowl games or just have a few cocktails? These Tamarind BBQ Brisket Meatball Sliders are just the ticket. The tamarind sauce is sweet and a little spicy and your guests will devour them.
Editor’s Note: This recipe calls for beef brisket, which has just the right fat/lean ratio. If you can’t find brisket, substitute ground chuck.
It also calls for tamarind, a sweet and sour fruit often used in Indian, African, and Latin American cooking. It’s also one of the major ingredients found in the sauce for Pad Thai, that familiar Thai noodle dish. If you can’t find fresh tamarind, you can find tamarind paste in the ethnic section of better grocery stores, in Asian grocery stores, or online (see links below).
2 shallots, diced
6 cloves garlic, diced
4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
1/8 cup heavy cream
1 large egg
8 brioche slider buns
3 teaspoons butter, unsalted
Tamarind BBQ Sauce
3 ounces fresh tamarind puree
2 cups molasses
1 cup fresh ground tomatoes
2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander seeds ground
1 teaspoon chili powder
4 teaspoons brown sugar
¼ cup cider vinegar
Fresh cracked black pepper
1. Sauté the shallots and garlic in vegetable oil until translucent and mix with the ground brisket.
2. Dice two slider buns into small cubes, add the heavy cream to the diced bread and add to mixture. Then add egg, thyme, salt and pepper and form into two ounce balls. Brown the balls in vegetable oil and reserve.
3. For the BBQ sauce: in a blender add all the ingredients and combine.
4. Place the meatballs and the BBQ sauce in a heat-resistant pan and cook in a 250 F oven until fully cooked and tender, approx. 1 hour.
5. Butter the remaining slider buns and toast on the griddle. Place one meatball between each bun and serve with your favorite beer.