The weather is warming up and it’s getting almost time to put on the bathing suit. If you’re not feeling bathing suit ready quite yet, maybe it’s time lighten up your diet. Put away those heavy wintry stews, rice and beans, and pot roasts and go for something deliciously light like these Lemon Scallion Chicken and Vegetable Kabobs. Each serving has fewer than 400 calories. Time to fire up the grill.
Recipe courtesy the weight loss experts at MediFast www.medifast1.com
Prep time: 15-20 minutes + 30 minutes soak time for wooden skewers
Cook time: 10-15 minutes
Yields: 3 servings
- 24 oz raw, boneless, skinless chicken breast (should yield three 6-oz cooked servings)
- 2 cups (2 small) summer squash*
- 2 cups (18 medium) mushrooms, quartered
- 1-1/2 cups (1 small-medium) zucchini*
- 1 cup (8 medium) cherry tomatoes
*Half lengthwise, then cut into 1″ chunks
Lemon scallion sauce:
- 3/4 cup (4-6) scallions, chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt or salt substitute
- 6 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp hot red pepper sauce
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- If using wooden skewers, soak in water 30 minutes.
- In small bowl, combine scallion sauce; set aside. (You may wish to reserve part of this sauce for finished kabobs.)
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Thread kabobs with chicken, zucchini, squash, mushrooms, and tomatoes.
- Brush kabobs before and during cooking with sauce.
- Grill kabobs 10 minutes, turning once, until cooked through.