If you haven’t got your Super Bowl menu together, time’s a wastin’. Our friends from Massachusetts are here to help. Here are a couple of wicked good dishes from two of Martha’s Vineyard’s top eateries for the ultimate Super Bowl bash.
Baby Back Ribs
Recipe courtesy The Newes from America Pub at Kelley House, Martha’s Vineyard, Mass. www.kelley-house.com
Serves 15-20 people.
- 8 racks baby back ribs (about 10 lbs.)
- 2 tbsp. paprika
- ½ tbsp. brown sugar
- ½ tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. celery salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. cayenne
- ½ tsp. dry mustard
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
Pre-heat oven to 225 degrees F. Place ribs on an unlined sheet pan and coat each slab liberally with rub.
Cover with aluminum foil, leaving an opening that you will close later.
Place pan on bottom oven rack. Fill each pan with 1 ½ qt. beer through opening in foil; close opening.
Cook for 5 ½ hrs. Ribs should have a good crust on top and be very tender. Let cool.
Super Bowl Beef Chili
This one will feed a hungry crowd.
Recipe courtesy Richard Doucette, executive chef, Lighthouse Grill at Harbor View Hotel, Martha’s Vineyard, Mass. www.harbor-view.com
- 28 oz. ground beef
- 4 Spanish onions (diced)
- 1 head of celery (diced)
- 8 red bell peppers (diced)
- 2 bunches cilantro (chopped)
- 2 jalapenos (seeded and diced)
- 2 cups Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- ½ bottle Cholula Hot Sauce
- 111 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 111 oz. ketchup
- 111 oz. canned red kidney beans (drained)
- 111 oz. canned black beans (drained)
- 12 oz. canned chipotle peppers in adobo
- 2 cups ground ancho peppers
- 1 tbsp. granulated garlic
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 tbsp. whole cumin
- 2 tbsp. black pepper
- 4 tbsp. dried Mexican oregano
- 4 tbsp. smoked paprika
- Kosher salt – season to taste
Combine all liquids, set aside.
In a large pot on medium-high heat, brown ground beef. Strain off excess fat.
Add all vegetables and cook until tender.
Add all spices and toast until fragrant.
Add beans and all liquids. Reduce heat to low. Cook slowly for two hours.