Advertising Opportunities on realfoodtraveler.com
Our readers: People who visit realfoodtraveler.com (RFT) are passionate about both food and travel. They tend to be people who have the interest, the time, and the money to indulge in both of these passions. They’re looking for authentic travel experiences, including regional and artisan foods, restaurants and other food purveyors, tours, festivals, and accommodations that genuinely reflect the places that they visit. They are also keen to read stories about destinations, our recommendations for travel gear and cooking equipment, and our reviews of the latest books and films about food and travel.
Since our initial launch in 2009, realfoodtraveler.com has attracted a loyal following and our influence continues to grow. We’ve been mentioned in publications like the Oregonian (state’s largest newspaper), MotorHome magazine (the largest RV magazine in the United States), Home & Away (AAA), Northwest Travel magazine, and Harbors magazine, among others. Our Google Analytics show that 2,400 websites link back to realfoodtraveler.com. Our monthly traffic has doubled in the past year and we now draw more than 90,000 visitors.
In 2011, to accommodate our increased popularity and our large volume of stories, recipes, reviews, and profiles, realfoodtraveler.com underwent a complete redesign to make the site more attractive and user-friendly. We still feature great stories written by top-level writers and large, luscious photographs. Now we also offer easier, more intuitive navigation, search capabilities, “cloud” indexing to identify the most popular subjects, easy article and recipe printing, a “What’s fresh” sheet to identify the newest stories, a complete article index, and new Wines, Brews & Spirits and RFT Marketplace categories. Additionally, we’ve included an RSS feed and our readers can comment on any and all of our content and send us tips, ideas, and stories.
In addition, we have a strong presence on Twitter and each of our stories and posts are blasted out via our Twitter feed. In the past year, we’ve increased our Twitter followers by 300%.
Targeted marketing: Advertising on realfoodtraveler.com enables you to reach a very specific, targeted market. We don’t write about anything unrelated to our mission: to bring our readers the very best in authentic travel and regional and artisan foods worldwide. That’s our commitment to our readers and to you as advertisers.
We endeavor to keep advertising costs affordable and effective for our advertisers. There are four ways to advertise on realfoodtraveler.com:
- On the homepage
- By Content Category
- Within specific stories or recipes
- In our Marketplace
Advertising on the Homepage:
This is a limited opportunity as we only have room for 2-3 ads on the homepage at a time. Since most of our visitors land on the homepage first, you’ll be guaranteed great exposure by advertising here.
- Your 250 x 250 pixel Square ad will appear on the right-hand sidebar column of the homepage. Your ad will link to your website. Only $60/month.
At the top of realfoodtraveler.com, you’ll see the main navigation buttons for our content categories. Each of the main areas has a drop-down menu of sub-categories as well.
When you purchase a Content Category ad, it will appear on the top-level landing page of that category as well as on the top-level landing pages of each sub-category underneath it giving you multiple exposures and enabling you to target your ad to the specific categories that apply to your business or product.
— Your ad appears on the top-level landing pages for Real Favorites, Real Food Finds, Wine, Brews & Spirits, and Real Foodie Profiles
REAL FOOD RECIPES
— Your ad appears on the top-level landing pages for Real Food Recipes, Starters, Main Dishes, Breads, Sweets, and Drinks
— Your ad appears on the top-level landing pages for Real Places, United States, Canada, Mexico & Central/South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, RV Travel, and Real Savvy Travel Advice
— Your ad appears on the top-level landing pages for Real Happenings, Events & Festivals, and Tours & Classes
— Your ad appears on the top-level landing pages for Real Reviews, Great Places to Eat, Wine, Great Places to Stay, and Book, Film & Web Reviews
— Your ad appears on the top-level landing pages for Real Shopping, Cool Travel Gear and Cookware & Gadgets, and RFT Marketplace. NOTE: Please see RFT Marketplace (below) for additional information on purchasing a Spotlight Listing in the Marketplace section; these advertising opportunities are handled separately.
Content Category Ad Sizes & Prices:
- 250 x 250 pixel Square ads appear on the upper right-hand sidebar on the top-level landing pages of the category you purchase, including its sub-categories (see above).
The ad links to your website. $50/month, per category.
- 160 x 600 pixel Skyscraper ads appear on the left-hand sidebar on the top-level landing pages of the category you purchase, including its sub-categories (see above).
The ad links to your website. $50/month, per category.
- 160 x 160 pixel Square ads appear on the left-hand sidebar on the top-level landing pages of the category you purchase, including its sub-categories (see above).
The ad links to your website. $35/month, per category.
for Specific Articles/Recipes:
Embedded Display Ads
These are single ads that can be placed in the body of any individual article/recipe on reafoodtraveler.com that you like, with the exception of our About section.
You can use the search engine to find which pages work best for you. For instance, if you operate a restaurant, tour company, or food business on Kauai, you might want to purchase an ad on a story about that island.
- 180 x 150 pixel Rectangle ad appears in the body of any article/recipe in reafoodtraveler.com that you’d like. Ad links to your website. $30/month.
- 300 x 100 pixel Rectangle ad appears in the body of any article/recipe in reafoodtraveler.com that you’d like. Ad links to your website. $30/month.
Advertising Opportunities in RFT Marketplace:
RFT Marketplace Spotlight Listing. $30/month.
This listing can be used to promote products, services, destinations, accommodations, and promotional offers. The listing includes an image of your product or company logo accompanied by 30-50 words of promotional copy and a link to your website. (See photo submission guidelines below.)
“RFT Recommended” Spotlight Listing in RFT Marketplace. $35/month.
This listing can be used to promote products, services, restaurants, accommodations, and destinations that have been reviewed by our editors and published on realfoodtraveler.com. The listing includes an image of your product or company logo accompanied by 30-50 words of promotional copy and a link to your website. (See photo submission guidelines below.)
These ads also feature an additional “RFT Recommended” graphic and a link back to the article about your product or company that has appeared on realfoodtraveler.com. This advertising opportunity is only available to vendors, products, destinations, etc. that have been reviewed by RFT editors. (If you would like our editors to sample your products, services, accommodations or destination for a possible review, please contact our editor at email@example.com.)
Digital Requirements for all Ads:
You provide the digital ad file and link to your website. Ads must be created at 72 dpi in either static or animated .gif files or static .jpg files. All files must be RGB, not CMYK.
- File Size: 40 K maximum. File Format: JPG or GIF files accepted. Resolution: 72 dpi
- Linking the ad to your website: Please provide the target web address for your ad in a separate text file.
- Photo or logo: 100 dpi, RGB JPG files only, no smaller than 300 pixels x 500 pixels, no larger than 600 pixels x 800 pixels, horizontal/landscape images work best.
- Text & link to website: Please provide 30-50 words of promotional copy and the target web address for your ad in a separate text file. (If you need assistance with copywriting, please email our editor firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- All advertising agreements are for a minimum of 6 months.
- All advertising contracts start at the first of the month.
- We offer a 10% discount for 12-month ad agreements (payable in advertising credit).
- Payment via PayPal, credit card through PayPal, or bank wire transfer.
- We reserve the right to reject any ads that we deem inappropriate, offensive, of low quality, or off-target for our readership.
- All ads must be paid in full before they will be posted.
For more information or to schedule advertising, email us.